Sunday, February 26, 2012

Question Number 11: Painful Beauty

Today, I had an appointment to pierce my cartilage.

I did it because I love quirks; I love having qualities-however seemingly insignificant-that become part of who I am.  Also, I simply love the way it looks.


Yes, I will admit it was painful.  And for the next week or so, I will not be able to sleep with my pillow against my left ear.  And every time I push my hair behind my ear, it stings for a moment, reminding me of the new, tender hole in through my cartilage.

Is it worth it?  I think so.  I love it.  After all, beauty is often painful.  But the lingering pain forced me to ask myself a question:

Why do we inflict pain on ourselves to achieve 'beauty'?

I will be the first to admit that getting my eyebrows waxed may be one of the most miserable experiences imaginable- and yet I, along with millions of other women, have an appointment to do just that every other month.

Walking in heels could be considered torture for your feet- and yet for special occasions I shove my feet into the most uncomforatble shoes imaginable and walk with my head held high and my feet throbbing, tripping every other time I take a step. 

As women, many of us pluck, pull, remove, improve, and alter endless aspects of our appearances to achieve that ever-desired point: beauty.

Sometimes, I wonder what 'beauty' would be if we all simply crawled out of bed in the mornings and walked out the door.


6 comments:

  1. Lol, I pluck my eyebrows every other day. Nbd for me! And LOVE the piercing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha for me it is so very painful. Thanks so much:) and thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg I love it! Ive been planning to get my cartilage pierced as well as several other ear piercings! And I already have 4 lol!

    Im **following btw :)

    if you have the time please come check out my blog. I blog about LIFE, TEEN ISSUES, BOYS, LOVE, HUMOUR, MUSIC, FASHION, BEAUTY, ADVICE, and so much more!
    www.wadduprachel.blogspot.com

    rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks so much! I will definitely check out your blog:)

      Delete
  4. My mom hates her skin so much, she's getting laser skin surgery. :/

    I watched a Korean comedy/drama/romance about a fat girl who got plastic surgery and lost weight for a guy she loved. It's called "200 Pounds Beauty." I loved it and it made me cry at the end. You could watch it on YouTube with English subtitles. The actress who played the plastic girl actually had plastic surgery in real life which was why she wanted to play the part.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, plastic surgery is definitely the extreme of inflicting pain to achieve beauty. I will definitely check out the video on youtube, it sounds interesting. Thanks for looking at my blog!

    ReplyDelete