Saturday, February 25, 2012

Question Number 10: Truly Knowing Someone

“Sometimes you have to get to know someone really well to realize you're really strangers.” -Mary Tyler Moore

An elderly couple plods carefully around the streets of a bustling city, linking arms and smiling at each other every once and a while.  They have been married for 71 years.  It seems as though they have said everything they will ever need to say to each other, and so they walk silently.  But the silence isn't uncomfortable, it's filled with unspoken and implied words that they have already heard. 

Do these people know absolutely everything about each other?  

The simple answer would be yes-they have spent almost their entire lives together, shared their thoughts, their memories, and themselves.  However, is the realistic answer no? 

Is it possible to know everything about another person?

Even the people you are incredibly close to, the ones you can confide in about everything and know they can do the same-They must have some secrets, even if they aren't purposely kept a secret, right?  And then there are the secrets they do keep on purpose- after all, we all need a part of us that belongs to only us.

Each of us has our own inner thoughts and desires, ones that we might never share with any other human being.  Those secret thoughts that we keep covertly hidden beneath our exterior smile are part of who we are.  And if no one ever sees those unreachable thoughts, does anyone really know us?

Does the common saying "he/she knows me more than I know myself" have any truth to it?  Or is that an unreachable impossiblity?

2 comments:

  1. I think I've said this before, but I love your posts. I love the way you write, and it really gets me thinking. You're Blog is brilliant!
    Keep writing (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, this means so much to me! Thank you so much, I love hearing stuff like this:)

      Delete