Monday, February 20, 2012

Question Number 8: High Expectations

Four seemingly harmless words are constantly falling out of people's mouths: "Give him a chance."

While they are seemingly harmless, I despise hearing them.  I want to scream to them and the rest of the world, "Why?! Why should I have to?"

My best friend counters their advice with words of her own, ones that she repeats to me when she knows I need to hear them.  She tells me, "You should never have to settle."  And I shoudn't, right? 

Right?

It's almost comical to think that somewhere, a beautiful girl sits in her room dreaming of a beautiful boy whom she loves with all her heart.  And somewhere, that very beautiful boy is dreaming about someone else-someone else that isn't her.  And in another room, there sits another boy who dreams of the beautiful girl-the same beautiful girl who dreams of the beautiful boy.

And the cycle continues.  I suppose the real question is, which one should 'give it a chance', essentially settling for what they do not truly want?  Should anyone have to settle?  Or is settling part of finding true love?

People tell me that my problem is that I have extremely high expectations.  I would have to agree.  I know who I like and I refuse to settle for anything else.  But I'm beginning to realize that maybe, just maybe, settling is essential in the ways of love.  Isn't it a fact that loving someone means loving their flaws as well?

When it comes to love, is having high exectations benificial or detrimental? 

Somewhere, there is the boy that I dream of.  But he dreams of someone else.
And somewhere else, there is another boy I know is dreaming of me.  Should I settle?  Should I unwillingly follow the advice that people have been pounding into me since boys first became a part of my life? 

I guess I'll never know.

3 comments:

  1. You shouldn't have to settle. Sometimes we end up settling because we aren't sure that something else will come along, but there always is another fish in the sea. It's good to have high expectations. You know what you want. And don't settle for anyone until you know the glove is a perfect fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D I just remind myself:It's just high school, just because I haven't met him yet doesn't mean I have to jump at some boy who doesn't meat my standards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is perfect to what I'm hearing right now.

    ReplyDelete