Saturday, March 24, 2012

Regrets

My life has taken a slight turn in a different direction, with me left to decide if it was for the better or worse.  And while I have yet to discover which, I know one thing for sure: I do know that I don't regret any of what happened. 

After all,

"Never regret anything that makes you smile" -Mark Twain

And I smiled a lot.  In fact, I have been smiling uncontrollably the last few days.  And so, even if other people tell me I made a mistake and even if I did, I will not regret. 

So when a friend of mine told me that he thought I had made a huge mistake and was surprised when I told him I had no regrets about it, I go to thinking about that small yet monumental word which could make or break our life.

Regrets.

They seem to follow us everywhere. 

'I should have done this.  I could have done that.  I wish I had never done this.  Why did I ever do that?'

But honestly, what is the point in regretting a moment or a word or a mistake when every single piece of our lives makes us who we are?  It is self-destructive to regret who we are, so:

Why do we regret?

Until someone finally invents a time machine that allows us to travel back in time and correct mistakes, regrets can only hurt us. 

And to the next person who tells me I should regret a moment that I am perfectly happy with, I can only say I feel sorry for you.  You have not reached the level of self-content I have reached.  I can only hope someday you do, and realize that

"As you grow older, you will find the only things you regret are the things you did not do" -Zachary Scott

4 comments:

  1. could not agree more, you should try to live your life regretting as little things as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely. I pretty much live by the fact that there's no use in regretting the past because at the time, you did what you did for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree but sadly i am a person riddled with regret in a way..
    I mean, it's because I am reaching for the boy who is good looking, funny, genuinely nice, and a good friend to me. But somehow when i look back, i see that all of his previous girlfriends are gorgeous, skinny, and charming.

    So i go and crawl back to my blog and my makeup to make myself feel happier :) x
    -- Val
    http://vivalavidavalentina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Madison! I want to let you know that I've nominated you for an award, you totally deserve it! Keep up the insightful posts
    :)

    http://iamfrippet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete